Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Call to Remembrance


Today we call to remembrance all our women and men who fought and did not return; those who returned wounded in body; and those who returned wounded in soul.



My friend Joe took this photo and made the following comment:

"This is the Canadian War Cemetery at Beny-sur-Mer, Normandy, June 4, 2014. The boys and I paid our respects there that day. Very moving when you see that all the ages are 18-24 years and a few older."

I have written previous posts on other Remembrance Days and once again as I reread them I am aware of how fortunate I am.   Despite it's problems I live in a country where we still have freedom to live our lives as we choose, to worship as we choose and to love whom we choose.  One of the ways those freedoms were gained was through the sacrifices of women and men in wars over the past one hundred-fifteen years.  Though it was not the only path to those freedoms and rights it is one that must always be held to remembrance. 

Lest We Forget - 2008

Lest We Forget - 2009

Lest We Forget - 2010

Lest We Forget - 2012

Lest We Forget - 2013


November 11 - 1918: Józef Piłsudski assumes supreme military power in Poland - symbolic first day of Polish independence.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lovely post. Lest we forget. Will be watching the ceremony from Ottawa in an hour or so.